Monday, November 09, 2009

Technology, It's an Addiction

There was a time in my life when I only had 7 channels to watch, 1 phone I could use, a cassette player and if I wanted to read the news I had to buy a paper. That was life circa 1997! Now, 12 years later I have an Ipod, cellphone (with Internet), satellite TV, email, 2 blogs, a digital camera and I read the gossip (not even real news) at any time I want and when I get home I run to the computer to check my facebook!

The world was supposed to get easier with the addition and enhancement of technology. It was supposed to make the world smaller and make us smarter! I guess, it has lived up to it's claims...now instead of having to get dressed and leave my house I can fully communicate with friends, shop for anything, and listen to the newest songs by my favorite artists all from the comfort of my living room in my pajamas! But with all the greatness it offers technology also greatly hinders us.

How many times have you been in a mall and/or market and witnessed a kid (teens included) walking with their parents but totally listening to an Ipod or on a cellphone (whether talking or texting)? It seems like this behavior has become the norm. I am as guilty as the rest. I don't deny my addiction to technology or my inability to keep myself from using it as a drug. Everyday I use my phone, my Ipod, a computer (several actually) and if I don't par take in at least one of these activities I feel like my day has been wasted with the pursuit of nothingness! It's ashame and very sad, especially because I can actually be in the midst of a fantastic life altering experience, and still I feel the guilt of a wasted day. Guilt because I didn't fulfill a superficial need that I recently developed because the world said I needed it! Wow, how sad!

Have you ever complained about having nothing to watch on your 500 channels of TV? Or are upset because there's no new gossip on a blog site and none of your friends have posted anything new on a social site? How about this...have you ever been jealous of a friend's phone? Yes, their phone! Because your phone isn't as new or pretty or sophisticated as theirs...my best friend has an Iphone and I was completely and totally envious of it. I have gotten over it since she got it, but there was a time when I just wanted it! Addiction rearing it's ugly head.

And that's it isn't it? Technology and jealousy go hand in hand, their blog is better, I want a site like hers, she's his facebook friend but not mine! Jealous, jealous jealous! He has an Ipod with video, oohhh I want that Flat Screen High Def 64 Inch wall mounted Television! Then the pursuit of technology turns from I want to I need! I need that new state of the art washer/dryer. I need a mac! I need the plasma, blu-ray with the attached coffeemaker and phone. No, You Don't!

We don't need any of these things. We want them definitely...have to have them certainly, but our lives DO NOT continue or end if we don't get the new X-Box. And I know this because at 30 years old I have never owned or played an X-Box and I'm perfectly content, but maybe that's the problem? If you don't want it, you don't need it! I But if you crave it (or in reference to addiction feen for it) you need it.

I don't need my small gadgets but I enjoy them and yes I crave them, but my life will continue without them. Will it cause me grief? In the beginning, but as I ween myself off the technology teet, I will return to the small wonder of a 17 year old who was content with 7 channels, 1 phone, books and newspapers and cassettes (which I actually do miss)
But I'm not ready for that just yet!

No comments: