Saturday, November 28, 2009

New Moon Movie Review

So, as a fan of books, movies and some books turned into movies...I gladly shelled out money to watch this book turned movie. Now, I did the same last year...I shouldn't have, but like all things I had to learn the hard way. Anyone who says that the first installment of this saga (Twilight) needs to seek professional help!

The book was so compelling and well written that I could only hope the movie (Twilight) would be the same, but I was sorely disappointed with it. I'm so used to movie makers taking books like LotR and Harry Potters (and even 300 and Watchmen) and actually turning them into must watch movies, that I forgot the director couldn't direct! If it wasn't for the book Twilight would have been sunk in the water.

So, knowing my disappointment with the first I still stepped up to the second, hopeful that a new director and more money would make a better movie. And I was right....


It's no classic, but it is a good popcorn fest...it's full of moments from the book that I hoped I'd experience in the movie. I like the cinematography, the colors used and captured, I even liked the wolves. But I was most impressed with Michael Sheen as Aro!

Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart! I can't seem to get passed the fact that in real life he looks like he may smell, he's completely opposition of Edward (and I know he's an actor and is playing a role) but all I see is stink rising off his body. I don't really care for him as Edward...the only time I feel like he was Edward like was in the first film, when he is first introduced, after that it's all been a let down. Kristen Stewart...I've seen her in a couple non-Twilight related movies in which I think she did a good job, but in this movie it was more looking torn...biting her lips and overall blankness.

Alice (played by Ashley Greene) is my favorite character and Ms. Greene does a great job as her...although there is a scene where she jumps a railing that was completely unnecessary.

The visual effects were better! You cold see the difference between the eye colors of the different Vampires, which was very very slight last movie. I enjoyed watching the wolves more than I thought I would. And on the Wolves...I really like the makeup that was done on Emily (Sam's fiance), it was always hard for me to image her look, but they nailed it!

Other than Robert and Kristen the only thing I didn't like was the score...it was way tooo cheesey...and I love cheese, but this was like Velveta on top of Velveta!

Michael Sheen as Aro....wow! Perfection! There's nothing else to say, but that man is a real actor...true! He can take a role and own it...I was so glad he was chosen for this role and he didn't disappoint one bit!

So overall I would recommend this movie...if only for those who heard something of the books...if you haven't you could wait until it's on DVD would you may lose something in the effects! Enjoy

1 comment:

KBugg said...

I liked it too- it was WAY better than Twilight, and I hope the it's not as good as Eclipse. The movies keep getting better, which is kind of weird- since the books had me hooked at the first word and I don't feel that way about the movies.