Sunday, November 29, 2009

Doesn't matter if your Fat or Skinny...



I love Victoria Beckham. I love her style and I love the way she carries herself. I think that she is a great lady in the way that she knows how to dress for the appropriate situation whether she's meeting the queen or walking through the park with her husband. Many people would probably be surprised that I like her, but if you really know me, it wouldn't surprise you! I long for the days when people actually got dressed up to go out of their house, whether it be to run to the market or to go out to dinner. There was a time where women dressed and acted like ladies and men dressed and acted like gentlemen. I miss that time, but I admire people like David and Victoria Beckham for bringing a little of that class back into this society of dressing like a ho and pimp!

Now, there is one thing that people would find offensive about Victoria...she's super skinny. Yes she is...funny thing, it never bothered me that she's so small. I never thought about it like that. I never saw past the great outfit to see what size was shown on the labels.

I'm not skinny and I've never been skinny. I don't think I ever will be and I don't strive to be! I strive to be happy....happy within myself and the body, personality and traits I've been given. I can't buy the clothes (size or designers) that she can, but I can hold myself up like a lady.

I don't consider myself fat, although others may, I am overweight, chunky, hefty even. But I'm not fat. Am I happy with the size I am? Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not, most times I don't care. I do care if I'm healthy though. I don't always make the right decisions on what I do or eat, and if I did I may not be the size I am, but I may not be much smaller than I am now either.

We have such a false sense of beauty in this country that striving for what we see around us will destroy us! Shouldn't we be striving to be happy with ourselves? There are women and men who work out everyday and will never be a size smaller than 10. Not because they don't take care of themselves, but because their body isn't the stereotypical type.

I have a co-worker who's going on a new health plan. I'm happy for her, but I've been trying to make sure she's doing it for the right reasons...mainly for herself. Not because of what other people think she should do or look like. She's not fat by any means, but she's not happy with certain parts of her body and she wants to fix them. Good for her! I'm glad for her and will do my best to be encouraging! I've been doing the same for someone else that I work with. She wasn't happy and decided to do something about it. I try to encourage her with my humor and wit. I will continue to do this until she doesn't need it anymore. But I think everyone needs some encouragement.

To me it doesn't matter if you're fat or skinny as long as your happy. I can understand people wanting to be healthy, you can be healthy and large...you can be skinny and very healthy, but ultimately you have to be happy within yourself. Because if you're happy you won't care what the world says you should be. Besides if you look around you'll see that most of people who try to tell you what you should be really aren't happy with themselves!

3 comments:

KBugg said...

Amen, Mel.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I acquiesce in but I contemplate the post should prepare more info then it has.