Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sitting in church...

...letting the sermon wash over you and not paying any attention to it. That was me on Father's Day. I went to church for the first time in a while (and only because it was Father's Day) and I realized that I've completely check out of the church thing.
   If you've been reading this blog for the last year then you already know I've checked out of the church thing because, well, I've been talkin about it for quite some time. But finally I have seen the light (so to speak). I understand that right now me sitting in a church trying to listen and being completely distracted by EVERYTHING else in the building is not what I want to do on my Sunday mornings.
   By contrast I'd rather spend my Sunday mornings sleeping in, catching up with friends, taking pictures or just watching television. Pretty much anything other than sitting in a building trying to listen to something that's out of my head. It doesn't feel real to me. The relationship I have with God right now, the communication we have between us is so much more real to me than sitting and being dictated to. I know that's not the intention of the speaker, I understand the church dynamic and the church's function enough to know that there is a good reason for it. I also know that God wants us in a fellowship with other believers...but when those other believers are not encouraging, but draining or when you'd rather cut your arm off than say hello to people then maybe, just maybe, your time there has come to an end.
   Just Sayin'

No comments: