Saturday, July 10, 2010

Overstepping or being an informative friend?

  A couple weeks ago I bade farewell to the first of 3 friends/co-workers I have at work. She didn't leave the company, just the state and so I won't be able to see or talk to her the way I used to. I have been able to put aside my personal feelings and understand that we all move on for our own reasons and that she couldn't let this opportunity pass her by. She came in for two half days to clean up some things and pack up her office before she drove off into the sunset of her LA life and the dawn of her DC life. But she left behind boxes of personal and work-related stuff to be sent to her new office...where it would await her arrival. Well that didn't happen.
   I brought down most of her boxes and informed the powers that be, that although she didn't care how it was sent, she expected her items to be there when she arrived (in 2 weeks time). Well, the powers that be, even after numerous inquiries on my part, didn't find themselves concerned with the project at hand and ignored it until....the Friday before she was to arrive at her new office. That's when, we were told to tape up her stuff and send it. So, I taped up each box like I was taping up my life and prepared them for shipping. I was under the impression that another co-worker who was present at the time was handling the forms and processing each box to be sent out that night....low and behold, when I entered the office the following Monday morning I was asked a curious question, "where's Kelli's stuff?" I turned, looked and pointed with dismay to the windowsill where the 6 boxes where still sitting right where I left them.
   Clearly I was mistaken or the powers that be, didn't really care when her belongings arrived. I knew deep down that this would go a rye. I knew that I should have emailed Kelli to prepare her for the disappointment, frustration and anger she'd feel when walking into her office with nothing there for her to unpack. I really wanted to let her know what she was in for...but I didn't want to overstep my boundaries as a lowly worker who has no say in anything. I didn't want to rattle the flames of anger and have them sent out in every direction.


   I did however, resolve to answer the question that would be asked of me...what took so long? I told myself that since I couldn't for warn her, but I could be honest if she asked me about it...and I was. I told her the truth, let her know what happened and tried to be a friend. It all worked out in the end, but not without unnecessary stress and frustration. Oh, just another day in the life!

No comments: