Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Why do I have to keep having this Conversation

With a new job comes new people, new attitudes, new (old) conversations and new adjustments.
This job is no different. When I start a new job, I sometimes sit back and try to figure people out (like at Disney) but other times I put myself out there not knowing what to expect. Over time I start to get comfortable and my personality sets in, I've stated on this blog before that I have no tolerance for stupidity and I tend to be a quiet person. I don't have to be the center of attention and frankly I can be in a room with someone and not feel obliged to talk to them. Not because I don't like them, but because if I'm in my own head space, that's where I want to be. I'm a multi-tasker, I can do one thing and be thinking about 25 other things at the same time. My mind is always running and when it's running I'm usually not looking to have a conversation with someone else.
I honed this talent the last time I worked in Downtown LA, for most of my time with that company I sat by myself and there were days when I was in the office completely alone. I didn't talk to anyone then and I found that over time I couldn't wait for the noise to die down so that I could be alone. So that I could think, work, just be. I escape in my head and it leads me down different paths. Sometimes I make plans, sometimes I pray, sometimes I reminisce about good times that I've had with good friends.
I'm saying all this because my boss said that she's getting complaints from co-workers that I have a bad attitude. She knows that I like to be quiet sometimes (some of the other people I work with are the exact opposite). They think that because I'm not talking to them that I'm giving attitude. They think because when they ask me a question and I give them the truth that I'm being a bitch. I don't like to sugar coat and I don't have to talk to them.
I was really angered because the person I know complained is my boss' best friend. I've had conversations with him and frankly I'd rather not speak to him about much. He's condescending and "above" it all. When you ask him a question he gives attitude...but still can't help you. I don't complain because I don't feel that there's anything to complain about. I just keep to myself and I don't talk to him. But apparently he feels the need to complain about me. The truth is this, sometimes people need to look at themselves too. I look at myself all the time, I know that I give attitude, I know when I give attitude, but I also know that sometimes, no matter what you say to people or how you say it, they are going to get offend just because you are the one saying it to them.
I'm tired of having to explain myself to people, I don't ask them to explain themselves to me, I don't ask them to cater to me, why are they asking me to do that to them. I talk people at face value and try not to prejudge them based on what other people say. I like to use my own experiences and give people the benefit of the doubt. I try not to step on any toes or rule out any suggestions, but that doesn't go both ways and I'm tired of everyone thinking I'm a bitch when all I want and need is to be in my own space.

1 comment:

KBugg said...

I am surprised a little bit that your boss would come and talk to you about that. What does she want you to do- be friendly and Miss Chatty Cathy? They just don't know you yet. Smile and be yourself Mel. I like you just the way you are. :-)