Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Election

I know that I haven't spoken about the election very much, in fact I only mentioned it once. But now that it's all said I done I'm going to give my opinion about what has transpired over this past year.
I have been raised a Democrat, my parents have always been the type to voice their opinions about the state of the country and we've always had discussions, as a family, about how we feel things are headed. We try to see who can make the best impact for our nation and which candidate would do the best job. This election was no different, but it was, at least for me. For African American people in this country this election was important but I also think it was tricky. Before Mr Obama was even a real candidate I heard a woman on TV say he wasn't black enough, because his mother was white and he was raised by his white grandparents and that black he's father was from African, he could not be truly classified as an African American. Of course there are lots of people who where going to vote for him because he's brown. Hey, that's there choice, but I wanted to know the man and how he thought.
I never really cared for Hilary Clinton, and although I love her husband, there was always something about her that put me off, but I did and still do think that Bill would be an AWESOME first man! I never felt connected to her. On the flip side, I never felt connected to any of the Republican candidates.
John McCain, although he did suffer as a P.O.W. for this country, wasn't in touch with me. I can't trust a man to take my needs and concerns seriously if he's never had to deal with them. Yes, I'm talking about living paycheck to paycheck as appose to not really having to check your bank account and worrying about losing your house and being put on the street, cause you don't have 11 (more or less) other ones to live in. And as a 29 year old woman, I don't think that this man from my grandmother's generation can really understand what I see and go through.
I knew that to be true when he picked Gov. Palin to be his running mate. As a woman, I was shocked and disappointed that this woman was given the national stage to parade around on like the perfect wife and mother. I was irritated that she was thought to be more of a mother to her pregnant teenager daughter then other women in the same position. And frankly, I was offended when during her debate she wanted to talk to the "real" American people and ended up sounding like an uneducated idiot. I'm a real American, but I don't speak that way and maybe she means that real Americans aren't really intelligent but rednecks...and if that's true then she just blew off every one else in this country.
There are reasons why people vote the way they do, but I voted my heart. I heard this man speak, he was consistent, warm and thoughtful. He didn't try to hide behind things that happened 40 years ago and he didn't shy away from the hard stuff. I honestly feel that he conducted himself in outstanding fashion, in such away that every American, not only blacks, should be proud of.

Do I believe that he can change this country around, yes, but he's going to have a hell of a time wading through the muck and myer left by W. The bad thing is that I don't think the country will give him enough time to clean up the mess, remember it took 8 years to get this deep, it's gonna take at least 8 more to clean it up.
At this point I am hopeful for the future, I am hopeful for our country and I'm hopeful for the world. And I pray not only for the safety of President Elect Obama and his family, but also that our current president won't do anything else to sabotage the White House and our nation before we square off and kick him out!

No comments: