Monday, September 27, 2010

Rooting for others, but not yourself.

   I'm a rooter (or cheerleader if you prefer). I'll root on my friends, I'll encourage them, I'll help them in anyway I can to make there goals come to light. To make their dreams come true, but I can't same thing when it comes to rooting for myself. I guess it's always been easier for me to sit down and pray for the people I care for then for myself. Being even the slightest bit removed from a situation makes it easier for me to see the dawn in the distance. But when I'm faced with the reality of my own situations I feel like the dawn isn't anywhere to be seen. Why is that?
   Why can I hold my friend and tell her everything will be alright or encourage someone to take a leap of faith. When I myself am huddled in a corner dreading the outcome of my own personal struggles? Not wanting to leap without seeing the ground below me. It doesn't really make sense, it doesn't really sound like something that should work. If I have the confidence and faith for my friend, then shouldn't I have it for myself? If I have the care and concern for my fellow man shouldn't I feel that same way about me?
    I can root for a team, an individual, stranger, acquaintance or friend...but I can't root for myself. I can't see the light and at times I don't want to see it. I'd never give up on them, but I barely blink before I give up on myself. It just seems that that shouldn't be the case. But for me it is and that's just makes it all the more weird.

No comments: