Sunday, April 04, 2010

The Tea Party

     

     I try to put myself in other people's shoes, to see how they see and at least try to really understand where they are coming from before I dismiss them as crazy. So when I heard about this group of people calling themselves the Tea Party I decided not to judge, but instead to learn about them and what they believe. I didn't want to dismiss them as crazies because I first believed they were only picking on the President because he was black. But come on, in this world...the first black president, they couldn't possibly just be after him because he's black...could they?

     Well, over a year later...I've been rudely awakened and shaken awake from the dream that this world (or should I say this country) would give this black man a chance. It turns out that my gut reaction was the truth, these people...these so called Tea Partiers that are out to take back the country are really only trying to take the country back from Minorities and Homosexuals. I discovered all this in the light of the passing of the health care reform bill. The reaction this group (of mostly white people) had was WAY over the top. They reduced themselves to name calling, hate-filled ranting and spitting (yes, spitting) on and at black and a gay congressmen. They've also begun to terrorize democratic representatives and senators, throwing bricks through both their home and office windows. Is it just me or has this whole thing thrown us back into the 1950's? I'm expecting someone to pull out the water hoses and let the dogs loose.
      I don't find it strange that this is happening it's happened before, but I do find it painful to watch. That these people are so angry they aren't in charge they are willing to act like preschool children to make their point. The Republican party, who these people represent, are just a bunch of selfish, hateful racists, (Yes, I know that the head of the party is black, I also know that they hired him to look progressive and that they've wanted his head since he started the job). Wait, I know lots of Republicans, as a Christian I can't help but know lots of them. I don't consider any of them racists, but if they are sitting back and letting racists run their party, then I can call it that way.
      For me, maybe the worse part of the whole thing is that they are no longer trying to even hide the fact that they hate blacks and our black President. They are actively fighting against anything President Obama does because he's black and because he's a democrat. They are actively doing and saying hateful things because they lost the "White" House. They are acting out because this is what they've been allowed to do since the turn of the century...basically, they are having a big ol' tantrum.

       A Friend of mine asked me what the women of this group are doing in it? I told her that I didn't think they had really thought it out fully, this group is a bunch of boys wanting to take their country back. They want it to go back to the way it was when they had all the power. Basically going back to women in the kitchen, Homosexuals in the closet and Niggars in the fields! That's what they want in a nutshell. The country back run by right-wing white men, anything less isn't good enough!
       Frankly, this whole group of mad people scare me, so do their leaders. One of whom seems to be Sarah Palin, who even in the election encouraged her followers to act and say racist things and since the election has done nothing but run her mouth into more and more stupid circles. I'm afraid for this country and to even think of the pains this causes...I'm afraid it'll spill over into the streets and into the general public. And I'm afraid of the imagine this is projecting to the world at large. We are a family infighting, but displaying it to everyone in the neighborhood...how embarrassing.
     

No comments: