Thursday, January 26, 2012

Judging a Book by it's Cover

  We've all done it. Even if we try not to, we have. The unconscious locking of the door whenever a certain person walks by. Crossing the street to avoid a certain group of people. Making a face when we see what someone maybe wearing or doing...and of course thinking instinctively something negative about a person with a certain accent. These are all things we've all done. Does it make them right? Nope! Does it make them wrong? Nope.
  Since we were children we've been trained consciously and unconsciously to believe certain things about certain people. We, as a people, are groomed to be prejudice.  First of all, it's not a bad thing...it's just a thing. It comes from experience and what we're taught. Example: Some people think tattoos are low-class and that the people who get are too. While others believe that tattoos are one of the highest forms of artistry. Still for others tattoos are their ancestry and therefore apart of their existence.  Why we think the way we do is simple...we've been fed things since before we could remember...everyday on TV, in books and magazines...even the news (especially the news) has given us negatives to process about the people around us. 
  I for, one have a thing about accents...I love European accents...but hate accents from the South, Boston and any Latin American country. I also (even though I'm black) tend to lock my doors when a black man walks by my car. And please don't get me started on how I see a Caucasian woman's hair and wish mine looked like that. These are all things I've been fed...look up to the Europeans, hate the sounds of unintelligence, don't trust black men they're gonna rob you and of course we all want to look like white women because they're the most desirable.
   In the end we feed these stereotypes to our children and our children's children. Even when we know that truth, which is that these things aren't true, we still feed them. Because we can't help ourselves. I still look at a white man from the South and think he hates black people. Look at an Asian person and think steer clean they can't drive and still...I look at a guy who's brown with a shaved head and think...he must be in a gang. But those are my experiences...those are my surroundings and those are the things I've been taught. 
   Am I ashamed of my thinking? Sometimes...but I know my heart and I try my best to keep these thoughts and words out of my head...but on instinct we all go back to what we know and what we all know is the prejudice propaganda that we've been taught all our lives.


   If you don't believe me or think this cannot be apart of you...think about this. For 40-50 years we lived under the threat of the cold world. It ended when I was still fairly young, but I remember hating the Russians, hating their flag, hating their accents, even hating the color red.  Now, if you were born before 1983 think...whenever you hear about Russia do you first think of hate? No? Okay, how about when you think of Cuba...Korea...Iraq...Afghanistan. We've been taught to fear and hate these people....guess what they've been taught to fear and hate us. For most of us, sitting behind a desk having nothing to do with war, we are subject to the propaganda of our government and they in turn, are subject to theirs.

No comments: