Thursday, May 15, 2008

Reality Television

I've recently, like yesterday, given up on reality television. I went through my dvr timers and deleted anything having to do with reality tv. Over the last few weeks I've found myself recording these shows and putting off watching them. Watching the shows became more of a chore and less for enjoyment. The last reality show I watched was last weeks episode of "Keeping up with the Kardashsians", I just realized that there was no reason for me to watch these people. I don't really watch a lot of reality tv anyway, don't get me wrong there was a time when I tuned in for the Real World, Laguna Beach, America's Next Top Model, American Idol, Real Housewives of the O.C. and so on, but I've come to realized that the people on the shows are showing me the worst in people. My favorite really, of all time bad shows I've watched is "Flavor of Love" (if you haven't seen this show you must watch it, there's no way for me to describe it to you) women fighting over a very very unattractive man, it's ridiculous! And it makes me angry.
I think, like everyone, I've been sucked into reality tv and like the generation behind me, I can't really remember a time before reality tv. I mean, I know there have always been game shows and things that are "reality", but I'm talking about the shows we have on today...the Big Brother's, Bachelor's, Temptation Islands...those shows, I mean how did we get here?
My real Journey with Reality TV came from this show called "The Real World". We didn't always have cable, but when we got it, I would sit for hours and watch MTV, I could tell you every hair band, sing every song and knew all the VJ's! Then MTV, came out with this show...they took "7 strangers, put them in a house" and you know the rest...it was so crazy to me. These were people in New York, who were living their lives and being adults, they were doing things and talking about things I didn't know about. And I was hooked. I credit the Real World with giving me my first gay friend, Norman, I didn't really know what gay was until I heard Norm talking about it. It was new and inspiring and crazy and great and I learned so much about things I didn't know anything about...being Gay, AIDS, Abortion, it was a real education. I kept watching season after season, then started to get tired. The people coming on the show, weren't coming to teach, like Norm and Pedro, they were coming to be famous and I couldn't handle that. The show that I loved had made me turn a cold shoulder on it. But I was addicted and kept finding new shows to watch. Now, I'm fed up, I'm not learning anything, I'm watching fake, spoiled people wrestle in crap and make out afterwards and calling it entertainment.
Well, no more! I'm done and I'm not sad about it.

No comments: