Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Being Truthful

   After having a long conversation with a friend the other day I realized something. My honesty gives me peace. I've had various conversations over the years with different friends and in all of them I've tried to be completely honest. Some of them are receptive...they see the honesty, accept it as my opinion or feelings and are okay with it. There's no malice, anger or sadness and overall, they take it in. Now, there are others in my life that I've been honest with and they don't accept it...don't understand it and just don't really take it in. Those are the people I tend to hurt for the most. However, after this conversation I understand that as long as I am honest as long as I am true to myself and our relationship then I am at peace with whatever may follow.
   We all have experiences in our lives that effect us in different ways. For me, I take on the problems, stresses, burdens and heartaches of the ones I love onto myself. I hurt with them...I cry with them and even if they don't know it I carry the burden with them. So I've come to the conclusion (after that conversation) that I am at peace with a certain situation because I've been honest throughout it. Even, when I had to summon up the courage to be truthful I've done it because in my heart I know I needed to. So looking back at the honesty, the encouragement and the love that I've shared over the past 10 years of this relationship I know that even though the person I care for has put themselves in a dire hole, I have stood by them truthfully and I can't hold on to the burden they've placed on their own shoulders.
   Hindsight is always 20/20, at least that's what they say...and most tend to look back and say, with regret, I should of said/done something about it then...it could of prevented what's happening now. I'm confident that in my being honest with people that I won't look back on things with regret...because I've said my peace and there is truly nothing more I can do about it. We all have a choice about what we can do in life...what we want out of life and how we choose to spend it. If I choose to have you in my life and to spend time with you then I owe it to you and myself to be honest about things. If I see you in trouble, or heading down that road I think I should speak up...try to let you see the bigger picture. It may not work, but why shouldn't I try?

  In the end there are things only the person who is in them can chose. I can't make anyone's final decisions on what to do. I can only hope they listen, just a little, about what I may suggest and advise. Most time it's you can do better...don't settle.

No comments: