Thursday, October 14, 2010

Wanting something, but really wanting something else.

    (for the sake of the person I'm about to write about I'm changing her name. However, she reads this blog and will undoubtedly know it's about her and if she doesn't well...okay)


     I met this cool chick named Blithe a little less than two years ago. She's cool (as I said in the last sentence) over time I feel like our relationship went from acquaintances to friends. We've talked about all kinds of things and I've learned a ton from her. She once shared with me her bucket list (not in it's entirety, but some of the bigger things). I honestly only remember two of them...they were big. 1. To live out of the US for a year and 2. To have a baby. I remember these because she was on her way (like a bullet out of a gun) to fulfilling the first goal and because one day she told me she had changed her mind about the second. That kind of shocked me, but her reasoning was sound. Still, I couldn't shake the feeling that even though she was saying it, I wasn't sure she believed it (which made me not really believe it).
   She moved away to pursue her dream and an opportunity, no looking back or making excuses (she's a jumper). Right before her big life restart she got the news that her journey to living aboard hit a snag, but she was still of the mind that she'd live among the people and help change the world (just later rather than sooner). Then something happened. Something she didn't expect. You see, prior to leaving she had this world wind romance (literally) and she fell hard and fast...but he's dreams and hers didn't mesh and they parted, but not without hurt and maybe a little guilt. Blithe was sadden, but wasn't going to let that slow her down. I think the last thing she expected after heartbreak was to find love. A love she's described as being deeper than she thought possible. That love has made her rethink her bucket list.
    It never surprised me that she would forgo that world changing mentality when she found the person she really wanted and needed, who really wanted and needed her. In fact, when I first read her words, I knew that her world was about to change more than she realized. I knew she'd make a decision that would spin her like a top. I also knew that the true desires of her heart would be fulfilled while she was trying to save the world.
   This cool chick, this kick ass woman who taught me about what type of chick I want to be has found what she wants. Not only has she found it, but she's taking hold of it and moving toward it...jumping feet first into a life that a year ago she didn't see coming. So she traded one bucket list thing for another...it's not bad... it's awesome. My heart became so overjoyed at the prospect of seeing her pregnant, holding her babies and chasing them around that I almost began to cry. She is what I can say I see when God is working without us even knowing.
    To my friend Blithe...Welcome to your new world. I wish you great joys, hope and especially love for the rest of your life. I only ask that you remember Melanie is a great name for a kid! ;  )

No comments: