Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Best Compliment

  I rarely get compliments, so the smallest little things give me great joy. If you meet me once and remember my name the next time we meet I take that as a compliment, because you cared enough to remember me. To me names are important, so I try to remember them and when someone remembers mine I am giddy!

  This brings me to the best compliment I ever received....

   Last year my manager sent out a text asking people to describe her in one word using the first letter of her name. We were talking about it at work with a co-worker who usually isn't in our office, in fact it was only the second time they had been there. We all took part in an inpromptu describing session, then changed the parameters to just describing each other in one word.

   Here's something you should know about me..
   I long for the days of old, not for the state of the country or world, but for the grace, style and manners of a time gone by. I love the thought of being a lady, of men being gentlmen and of walking with the grace that all that entails. Sadly, though we've made progress in many areas, this is one place where we've lost our way (in my opinion).  I try my best to be lady like, most times I feel like I fail, but I strive for it and I think this compliment made me rethink what I consider daily failures.

    Since I received it, almost daily it pops into my head, at the most random times I stop and think about it and why it's effected me so much...here's what I've come up with...

    1. I've already stated, I try my best to be a lady, graceful, poised and proper.

    2. The person who gave it had known me all of a day and a half (this was only the second time we'd met)

    3. I was already totally intrigued by him.

    4. It could simply be the way he looked at me when he said it (which I could totally be overthinking).

    In truth, it could easily be one of these things or all of them. I'm thinking that all 4 play a roll in it. When I sit back and analyze it, I guess I'm just amazed because it did hit so close to home (especially coming from a relative stranger).

    Hump!
    Oh well...I guess you're wondering what he said....

    The one word he used to describe me was ELEGANT.
 
    Now, that might seem like nothing to you, but it meant the world to me.

No comments: