Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I just don't get it?!

I was reading the headlines on google news yesterday and came across one that simply left me speechless.

Apparently Danny Glover (of Lethal Weapon fame) came out and said that the President isn't doing enough for black people. To which the President basically replied, I'm the President of the United States not the President of Black People. I like that come back.

For me as a black woman, I can be proud to say that this Black Man has set an example as a man, husband, father, leader that the black community rarely sees. So that, in it self, is enough! Now, on the whole, as a citizen of this country, I do believe that our President is doing his best. I believe that he is, in fact, working his butt off to rebuild our crumbling economy and overblown self-righteousness. I think he's hard at work trying to make a difference in what short time he has (at this point I don't have high hopes that the American people will re-elect him). In this 11 months he's had in office he has accomplished so much, but people only see what they want.

The question that always pops into my mind is, "would this be happening if he was white?"...truthfully, I hate to admit it, but I don't think it would. I believe that if President Barack Obama was President Tom Doe he wouldn't be under that same pressure. I am frankly, very angry that anyone in the black community can be so selfish. I don't get it, maybe it's because I didn't grow up in the black community, but at some point we, as black people, have to stop pointing the one finger at others and look at those three that are pointing back at us!

He never said he was going to Washington to paint the White House Black. He never said he was going to make things better for only black people. He said he would do his best to restore this country to it's former greatness...trying to bring EVERYONE to a greater standing as a whole. It's not his fault that people in the black community only saw the color of his skin and voted for him because of it (which makes you as bad as the people who voted against him because of it) and didn't listen to him speak or learn about his brand of politics. Black people if you thought he was going to come out fist baring telling "whitey" to pay up or whatever then you obviously need to go back under whatever rock you came from. Because you missed the point.

Maybe my father is right, maybe this country will always be corrupt, maybe black people will always face challenges, but right now, he's not the one causing the divide...."black activists" like Danny Glover are....

And Black People if you really want to hate on a black political figure hate on Michael Steele, leader of the Republican Party....yes he's black!

No comments: