Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yesterday

I was a proud American yesterday...not a proud African American but a proud American! I was grateful that we've come as far as we have. That people have gotten past the history of this country to greet a black family as the first family and be happy for them. We, as a nation, didn't just elect a black president, we elected a black family to represent us. To go out to the world and say look at us, we are adults now and we can look past the small things, like color, and see the bigger picture like humanity! I am honored, hopeful and curious to see what the future will bring and if this first time deed will also translate in other countries around the world.

I am not so naive to think that everyone in this country voted for him or sees past his skin (or name), I'm not blind to the racism and prejudice that still haunts us. I am not so abundantly happy that I don't fear for the safety and care of this, our first family. I am extremely sensitive to this new situations flaws, distractions and dangers...but I am more hopeful.

I hope that these next four years will lead to more understanding and help ease racial tensions in this country. I hope that people will look on this family as an example of a good family, not just a good black family. For generations, white people have always had very visible families to look up too, now (besides the Cosby Show) black people do to.

Congratulations Mr. President, Mrs. Obama, Malia and Sasha....and congratulations to you America.

No comments: